It won the first national collegiate women's basketball championship in 1972. Fast forward to the making of The Mighty Macs, the movie based upon the story of Theresa’s first Immaculata championship team. Flashing a made-for-TV smile, she clutches her husband’s arm and makes her way to the red carpet. Hayek played basketball at Lancaster Catholic High School and the University of Miami, where she received a full basketball scholarship. It starts in 1971 with a 23-year-old named Cathy Rush. Instead, she received a rather plain, brown, wooden rosary. We just had this immediate connection. The feature debut of director Tim Chambers, this sports drama stars Carla Gugino (Spy Kids) as Cathy Rush, a women's basketball coach in the early '70s. Theresa says there are three kinds of friendships: utility, pleasure, and virtuous. The Mighty Macs is a 2009 American film by director Tim Chambers. Tim (Chambers, writer/producer/director) arranged the schedule so we shot the basketball scenes early, when I still had the energy.”, Her on-screen teammates also pulled together. Though her team has no gym and no uniforms -- and the school itself is in danger of being sold -- Coach Rush looks to steer her girls to their first national championship. The former high school basketball star was coaching the ragtag team at Immaculata, a struggling Catholic school … Check In. “No, everything is good. And when her basketball camps began to take off, Rush realized she could make a good living without dealing with the stresses of coaching.Over the years, … The Mighty Macs (2009) cast and crew credits, including actors, actresses, directors, writers and more.

Intentionally, joyfully living the faith ... we hope. She portrayed Trish Sharkey, a member of the Immaculata College women’s basketball team that won the first of three national women’s basketball championships from 1972 to 1974. Monsignor Phyllis Somerville. By Marcia Moore. So, they found a cameo for me, and they wanted to know my size for wardrobe. On the same day Katie learned she’d been cast in the movie, her first major acting role, she also learned she had been diagnosed with cancer – Hodgkin’s lymphoma. Add to collection. Behind The Mighty Macs Movie: The Sisterhood of the Rosary. Our services. She was elected to the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame in 2001. The real coach, Cathy Rush, as well as rising star Katie Hayek, who plays Trish Sharkey in the film, are both cancer survivors. There was something else Theresa didn’t know about Katie at that time. Katie Hayek, who stars as Immaculata player Trish Sharkey in the movie, was diagnosed with Hodgkin's lymphoma prior to filming. And there was one other thing. Theresa Shank wanted a ring. With Carla Gugino, Marley Shelton, Ellen Burstyn, David Boreanaz. It stars Carla Gugino in the lead role of Cathy Rush, a real life women's basketball coach. They rolled this cake on the cart by me and there was one piece left; it was probably 3” by 3”. “When I was at a chemo treatment, it was another patient’s last day of chemo, so her friends brought a cake for her. His father, Charles Augustus Marris, was a law clerk, later a teacher, from Lincolnshire, England; his mother, Agnes Reid Allan, was from Glasgow, Scotland. I didn’t even know if she was Catholic.” Theresa gave Katie her Immaculata championship rosary! I said, ‘Just give me a big ol’ habit, because I want to be a big ol’ nun!’”. Katie Hayek, a former University of Miami shooting guard and theater major, was cast as star player Trish Sharkey. and steals (2.7 spg. Title IX guaranteed women an equal footing with men in collegiate athletics in 1972. Check out VideoETA, When Entertainment Happens. Trish Sharkey Kim Blair. She shared some of her own story, fictionalized for the sake of the movie in the character of Trish Sharkey who must make a choice between pursuing her dreams in basketball or taking a part-time job. These friendships helped us become better people because our moral compass was always pointing north around them.”, Presumably, the Sisters’ influence helped shape Theresa into the kind of person who would give her beloved championship rosary to someone she had just met but intuitively knew needed it more than she did. Judith Ivy Van Beelen. Intentionally, joyfully living the faith ... we hope. Cameras whirred, lighting techs shuffled around the room tweaking the shades, gaffers were busy, um, gaffing, and makeup artists were at the ready. But Hayek was diagnosed with cancer as cameras were set to roll. I think that carried over onto the court and in front of the camera.”, According to Katie, she had an abundance of divine assistance at work for her, too. With sheer determination, the coach inspires her team to reach for the stars. Sister Sister Jodie Lynne McClintock. POPPER’S PENGUINS) arrives at tiny Immaculata College, the women’s basketball team has no budget, no uniforms and no gym. With Carla Gugino, Marley Shelton, Ellen Burstyn, David Boreanaz. Cathy Rush, the first basketball coach at Immaculata was hired for $450 a year beginning in 1970. Intentionally, joyfully living the faith ... we hope. Want to know when the latest box office smash is coming to DVD and/or Blu-ray?