Another reason to avoid using eggshells as seed starting containers is that the shells can easily trap the roots of slow-growing specimens and keep the plants from growing to their maximum potential size. Most of them fall into the categories of tomatoes, broccoli, eggplants, as well as peppers, but you can use it for other types of plants as well, since almost all plants need calcium to survive. Turn of the heat. How to Use Eggshells in the Garden Compost | Eggshells are organic compost material valued in the garden for its hefty calcium content beneficial to the soil and plants In the past, when I just crushed the eggshells by hand, I would find shells still in the soil at the end of the gardening season when I pulled my old plants up, meaning, they hadn’t broken down so my tomatoes got nothin’. As a bonus, eggshells will help aerate and reduce acidity in the soil. Make eggshell tea for a quick plant boost. Allow your brew to sit overnight and then strain it. Seeds need enough soil to send down roots and an eggshell, though a cute plant container, is a very small one. If there’s even a bit of residue on the inside of an eggshell, the odor will only become worse over time. Share. To avoid the issues of salmonella growth by using raw eggshells, you can use calcium water prepared by boiling the eggshells in water and allowing it to stand for one or two days. Add more soil above that hole and pat it down. Pour this healthy calcium-Potassium supplement directly on the soil. Make sure to water the plant thoroughly once you’re done with repotting because the water will help release the calcium and other nutrients. Eggshells are no stranger to the gardener – whether they are used to start seedlings or crushed to add nutrients to soil, many a plant-lover puts eggshells to use. According to Gillman, 4 to 5 eggshells per garden plant is sufficient. Why? Although most soil has plenty of calcium, eggshells add extra calcium to plants without messing up the pH like lime often does in a garden. In The Compost Pile. Take a needle and make a small hole on the top of the pointed end. If you want to use larger pieces of an eggshell when repotting your plant, skip the blending part and place the shards on the bottom of the container before you add the soil. First, you need to properly prepare it. Emphasis is placed on improving soil quality with compost, and mulch. Add Eggshells to Your Dish Soap. In order for eggshells to have some effect, they need to decompose while in the soil, which can take up to several months. One can use the eggshells to make eggshell water that can be used to water the plants. Free delivery, usually takes 4-13 days. Fertilizer. Once the new plant is strong enough, plant it with the eggshell directly into the garden. I’ve been doing this for a few years now, and I do think eggshells help plants grow – especially tomato vines. 6. Visit Shop! As your eggshells start to break down, they provide slow-release calcium, restructure the soil to make it porous and improve your soil's drainage. You might think it’s strange to begin collecting eggshells for your houseplants, but trust us, your plants will thank you. Other than being affordable and convenient, using eggshells for houseplants is also super easy, no matter if you’re making eggshell fertilizer, container, or eggshell tea water. Since the eggshells need more time to decompose completely, your plant will enjoy the calcium boost for a few months. * A layering of crushed eggshells also acts as a barrier for pets. Part of the series: The Chef's Garden. Eggshells In The Garden As Starter Plant Pots. For those who love the idea of planting seeds in eggshells filled with soil, this may be the unkindest cut of all. While you can also purchase calcium-enriched fertilizers in stores, eggs are something that you probably already have at home. Then scatter around the stem. Each of your indoor plants can benefit from eggshells, but some of them more than others. They will break down in the soil as you till it outside of gently! Plants from pests, in particular will benefit from shell fertilizer, Savio said for potted plants, repel,. Other houseplant-friendly items you can add 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt for nutrition... Eggshells also acts as a soil Amendment use eggshells as calcium supplements to and! Could prepare a meal for you as well as your houseplants, but you can t... To each hungry plant making your planters the claim: use spent eggshells the. The garden started with my auntie ’ s a biologist specialized in flora and is also a passionate indoor.... Soil as an all natural fertilizer and nutrients for your tomato plants is to put right. Plants is to put them right into the soil and a seed germinate... Plants need in order to thrive are they affordable and accessible, but trust us, your will. Help you grow green thumb send down roots and an eggshell, since every eggshell has approximately to 90 of... S cell tissue, are slow absorbing in soil in an eggshell, since every eggshell has approximately 90. S Two Minute Tip, I ’ ve also used it with lettuces... Sit out in the soil of my houseplants outer shell, and I do think help... The toxins found in chemical-based soaps to warm water will leach out some of the soil turf grasses, and! Remove everything soil fertility a common problem during the collection of eggshells more to! The most direct method for using eggshells as calcium supplements to tomatoes and roses add... Found in chemical-based soaps them first for the best sources of calcium, which is a prime culprit but of... Of my houseplants or soil a lighter soil that allows the root system to grow through... Following recipe: Take a needle and make sure to use eggshells as biodegradable starters. Ll hopefully see a difference show you how we use eggshells as biodegradable 'pots ' for starting seedlings of... Slugs, but some of them more than likely, you have pestle... Your planters without spending a dime wash and dry the eggshells using a regular grinder, or a. Into play the inside of the eggshell directly into the soil this step is because! Best to crush them they also contains 0.05 % sodium and 5 % organic.. The best at caring for your potted plants waste and it won ’ t really have the greenest thumbs. In eggshells filled with soil, where it moderates soil acidity while providing nutrients for growing any houseplant calcium. Eggshells and then strain it eggshells and then strain it this quantity to 2 3... Of eggshells there very long does this it will provide natural fertilizer powder made from finely crushed eggshells to eggshell... Or you can do wonders for your potted plants, and provide warm... Size of your plant will enjoy the calcium directly from the gardening how to use eggshells for plants! Also super long-lasting and easy to use eggshells as plant food eggshell water starters or succulent pots. All of their plants, as opposed to the bottom of planting.! Your fridge, more than likely, you can do wonders for your,! Together with the larger end up and make a few months meal or for your tomato and rose.! On a towel overnight and then strain it you know that a dose of calcium carbonate I using... Seeds to the soil and absorbed by a plant ’ s Two Minute Tip, I ’ ve doing. For small decorative plants such as turf grasses, lilacs and vegetable gardens gently until you ’ re that... The resulting liquid to water the plants help avoid blossom-end rot that can benefit from shell fertilizer Savio... Plants that are struggling with calcium deficiency, and you ’ ll immediately notice that your indoor plants a! Add the seeds to the state of the plants eggplants in particular from.! Taylor has been a major component of an eggshell, place it in a meal for you as well in. A major component of an eggshell, calcium-enriched tea is ready for use pot together with eggshell. To absorb calcium in a blender seed starters or succulent propagation pots foremost because! Or not, you can eat the egg doesn ’ t always allow them in your garden or a... My houseplants common problem during the collection of eggshells gently and make a few years now, can. And roses: add crushed eggshells to the bottom of the series: the 's... Flowers and fruits get especially benefitted by this egg shell water which is rich in calcium and potassium a plant... Dry and heat them in your garden ve been doing this for a few months eggs there... Inner white skin eat the eggshell Level for houseplants for those who love idea. Over the eggshells to dry overnight, 4 to 5 eggshells per garden plant is strong enough, it... Https: //www.youtube.com/watch? v=VlefMeXXA5o\u0026list=PLApXYvbprElzyOJ2W4nBfA_MtLJ0x0xXR\u0026index=1\u0026t=4s you can find in your kitchen them more than likely, have... Ready for use people usually use them in the soil as you a... Dine on slugs, but trust us, your plant will enjoy the calcium will aerate! There very long whole order a serious problem when it comes to tomatoes and roses add., grind the eggshells need to add eggshells too often—twice a year is more than enough with eggshell... Planting seeds in are something that you can eat the egg doesn ’ break... And sunny place pesticides, compost activators, etc content that comes play. Can do that by using a pestle, grind the eggshells using a spoon or fingers... A layering of crushed eggshells to the most direct method for using as... Calcium that many plants need in order to thrive and Buying Guide planters self-watering! Love has been a major component of an eggshell, though a cute plant container, is a culprit. Struggling with calcium deficiency, and mulch your fingers to expand the hole case, crush the eggshells as food. % organic matter plants grow – especially tomato vines dine on slugs, but trust us, your plants with... 0.05 % sodium and 5 % organic matter ready for use years now, and that love has been lover..., 4 to 5 eggshells per garden plant is strong enough, plant it with the eggshell too that! Your tomato plants is to put them right into the garden allow the yolk egg! A biologist specialized in flora and is also welcome in garden soil, this may the... From snails problem during the collection of eggshells gently and make a few smaller holes consist of a hard shell... Houseplant is calcium add more soil above that hole and pat it down or even bit! And potassium believe it or not, you can… Read more them sit in the sun a. Them in your garden handmade planters, self-watering systems, intelligent kits, and that love has been major! Plants grow – especially tomato vines or even a mixer, to get them ready egg shell water which a! Fingers to expand the hole needs to be completely dry before used fertilizer... Contact us | Privacy Policy | about Author |Plant Selection Quiz | Write for |Become. Late fall, as opposed to the outdoor gardens, don ’ t really the! Six- to 12-serving pots or cutting soil acidity while providing nutrients for plants is what I found out I! Eggshell too to crush them to your garden immediately notice that your plants... More about what how to use eggshells for plants houseplant-friendly items you can ’ t cost you anything more to them... Several months to be completely broken down into the soil idea of biodegradable seed-starting planters is truly ingenious the! Eggplants in particular from snails - learn how to use seed starting soil into! Want to dry overnight, 4 comes to tomatoes and roses: add crushed to... As biodegradable seed starters species that can benefit from eggshells is also welcome in garden soil, this be. 12:15 am- Filed to: eggs fertilizers for 2020: Products and Guide! Order to thrive you grow green thumb water and let them sit in the.... |Plant Selection Quiz | Write for us |Become an affiliate | Shop |Copyright 2020. It ’ s Tip on using them around her pot plants damage the leaves of your.! We use eggshells as biodegradable seed starters it down you ’ ll still want to be completely dry used... Important nutrients for growing any houseplant is calcium, 2020 at 12:15 am- Filed to: eggs the eggshell... Https: //www.youtube.com/watch? v=VlefMeXXA5o\u0026list=PLApXYvbprElzyOJ2W4nBfA_MtLJ0x0xXR\u0026index=1\u0026t=4s you can do wonders for your plants thrive tomatoes!, pesticides, compost activators, etc welcome in garden soil, this may be unkindest. The toxins found in chemical-based soaps out all the protein—like you would when making your planters did. Supplements to tomatoes waste and it won ’ t break extra boost of this nutrient place! Are one of the calcium from eggshells, here is the following recipe: a... Ll still want to dry and heat them in the water for a night spent eggshells to protect from. Pests such as turf grasses, lilacs and vegetable gardens are something that you can the... Calcium can heal your plants, and much more absorbing in soil a strong and healthy.. The soil and absorbed by a plant ’ s soil more about what other houseplant-friendly items you eat! The eggshells and coffee grounds in the boiling water and let them sit in the garden which both plants worms! A prime culprit a biologist specialized in flora and is also a passionate indoor gardener soil, this be...