Where's the darkest and most moist place in the house? Fresh bread will grow mold faster. Mold grows on bread when it’s moist enough for it to grow on. In the first sample, the sealed bread should develop mold more slowly than the unsealed bread. When prospectors, pirates, pioneers and soldiers wanted to preserve bread for days or months, they made sure it was very dry. Lightly moistened bread stored in a warm, dark place should grow mold in about 7-10 days. Mold cannot survive at high temperatures either, making baking a good way of destroying mold. Same amount of mould for wet as Day 5. Mold is a heterotroph, so it does not need sunlight to create food. Meredith Juncker is a PhD candidate in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center. To minimize variability, make sure the temperatures of both environments are the same. Mould on bread is caused by a fungus. ", "I am a high school student, and although the difficulty level was not quite high enough, it gave very good ideas. Dry bread will eventually grow mold, but it will take much longer. What will happen if I don't seal the bags? With that in mind, possibilities include that the mold grew before you put the tortillas in the freezer, while they were cooling in the freezer, and after they were removed from the freezer. Aspergillus, Penicillium, Rhizopus and Neurospora crassa are a few of the thousands of mold spores that float around the kitchen looking for places to start colonies. Toasting bread will reduce its water activity 3. Making mold grow on bread is not only a great project for the local science fair, it also teaches the ins-and-outs of keeping your bread fresh. Fungi are saprophytes. When Does Mold Grow on Bread? Call (905)290-9101 6 Things You Need to Prepare For. You could also try adding more moisture to the slices of the bread, or use different amounts of lemon juice and sugar on the slices. Of course if you make your own and skip the preservatives, the bread will mold even faster. Several reasons: Sugar prohibits growth through osmosis / dehydration. Did you know you can read expert answers for this article? "I wanted to study more about fungal growth on bread and how to do so in my school experiment. Your moldy bread thrives in a bright, humid and hot environment, which allows the spores to multiply quickly. ", "It was very thorough in explaining what I needed. Foods with high moisture content can be contaminated below the surface. Observe your samples daily to check for differences in growth rate and amount. Once the spore has landed, it colonizes the food item, such as bread, by germinating into a hypha, which spreads out into the bread like a net. ", "Very nicely explained with pictures, very easy to understand. What Does Mold Need to Grow? Mold spores are microscopic plants that float on every breeze, inhabit every inch of earth and surround us everywhere we go. Molds grow in every color imaginable. A retired municipal judgem Reynolds holds a degree in communications from Northern Illinois University. This is why bread mold is so common - because of the ingredients in bread, it is an excellent source of nutrition for many molds to grow and thrive. Support wikiHow by Mold spores are the "seeds" cast off by mature fungi. Meredith Juncker is a PhD candidate in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center. Grow something disgusting. Bread Type. Does Mold Grow Faster in the Light or Dark? So unless you plan on eating your bread within a day or two, it’s best kept out of the sun, off the countertops and in a cool, dry spot instead. Iam doing mold for my science project and i have to explain how bread mold grows on a bagel. I like browsing on wikiHow, as it gives answers to almost all of my doubts and queries. "The most notable is simple osmosis, or dehydration. Mold grows on food and other organic matter, and thus, breaks it down into slime by which it extracts nutrient for its growth. These mould spores float around until they end up on bread and begin feeding on its nutrients; this point marks the start of the growth or life cycle of the bread mould. Written on: July 14, 2020. This is an interesting question which I am happy to entertain… As I have mentioned in a number of other posts, mold needs moisture, organic material and moderate temperatures to thrive. So unless you plan on eating your bread within a day or two, it’s best kept out of the sun, off the countertops and in a cool, dry spot instead. Thank you! If bread is stored in a cupboard, plastic container, or a bread box, it is more likely to grow mold. Otherwise, mold needs to absorb the nutrition from other plants, animals, or medium. With a bit of moisture, a little heat, and a bit of time, you'll have a furry green sandwich that will impress your classmates and gross out your friends. Start by dampening a slice of bread so the mold will grow quicker. Molds grow best in warm, dark and moist conditions. You can do this by spraying the bread with a bottle, dripping water on it, or placing a wet paper towel on it. Growing colonies of mold can also be visually observed in many cases. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. Some mold contains mycotoxins which can cause neurological problems or even death. How does temperature affect mold growth on bread? Which type of bread grows mold the slowest? Why would dirty hands cause mold to grow on bread? Molds won't grow below freezing but they can easily survive the process. Copyright 2020 Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Media, All Rights Reserved. Bread, particularly white bread, is an attractive place to land because it is high in starch, a substance that breaks down into sugars, which is a high-energy food for mold. A mold that grows on strawberries is a grayish-white fuzz. I would appreciate it SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much. However, another factor . When their cases break open, tiny spores go airborne until they find a hospitable place to land that is cool, damp, dark and has a good food supply, and then the process begins anew. This is an interesting question which I am happy to entertain… As I have mentioned in a number of other posts, mold needs moisture, organic material and moderate temperatures to thrive. The majority of moulds are mesophilic, i.e., they can grow at temperatures within the range of 10-35°C. As bread … Bread mold grows fastest in areas that are dark, warm and damp. Just as with humans, bread is easier for mold to digest than are the grains themselves. ", "I was doing a science lab about growing mold and this article really helped me know what I should do! For more tips from our Science co-author, including how to test different samples of bread, read on! Two or three types of food (such as greens, bread, meat, cheese, fruit, etc.) There are thousands of different kinds of molds. Creative Commons. One of the most familiar forms of this filamentous fungus is the fuzzy green and gray growth that affects the foods we keep, particularly breads. Dairy products, and cheese in particular, also grow molds effectively. Check each sample daily and see which piece of bread grows the most mold the fastest. Mold is a type of fungi, so its spores are frequently in the air. Fill the spray bottle with water before beginning the experiment. A mold or mould (UK / NZ / AU / ZA / IN / CA / IE) is a fungus that grows in the form of multicellular filaments called hyphae. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 258,086 times. Freezing the Bread Cut bread into portions or slices. Not all breads are as susceptible to mold growth as others 2.Generally, the more water content a bread has, the more quickly it will mold 3.This means that a bread like oat bran bread, which typically contains an average of 47% water, will mold in most instances more quickly than Navajo fry bread, which has a water concentration of only 26%. Your bread might have dried up or it was to cold for it to grow. Some moulds produce mycotoxins, which are dangerous poisons that can cause serious illness. If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. The U.S. Department of Agriculture recommends keeping food covered, maintaining household humidity at or below 40 percent and examining foods carefully for mold prior to purchase. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. Bread Mold Facts. It is possible for mold to grow in cooler, drier or more brightly lit conditions, but the mold growth is slower in such environments. Remember, to minimize variability, you will want to use the same amount of water for each piece of bread and store the room temperature sample in the dark, as the samples in the fridge and the freezer will mostly be in darkness. This article has been viewed 258,086 times. Not all breads are as susceptible to mold growth as others 2.Generally, the more water content a bread has, the more quickly it will mold 3.This means that a bread like oat bran bread, which typically contains an average of 47% water, will mold in most instances more quickly than Navajo fry bread, which has a water concentration of only 26%. It is observed that most molds thrive in temperatures above 70° F, and the low temperatures in the refrigerator are unfavorable for bread mold. Mold grows on bread because spores land on it and begin to multiply. This spreading of spores further infects bread (if bread is the substrate) and sends even more spores into the air. Research shows that mold needs moisture and warmth to grow, and since the bread was dry, mold never grew.If there had been more moisture in the warm room, mold probably would have grown.In the room temperature room and the warm room, the temperature and moisture levels kept on fluctuating because of the fall season. Shredded, sliced, or crumbled cheese can be contaminated by the cutting instrument. Before each experiment, make some predictions about what will happen. Optimum temperatures for growth may range between 15 and 30°C. This is many times studied in school with a simple experiment. I, "It was nice enough to get me 9 out of 10 marks on my biology project. The fresher your bread is, the faster it will get moldy. A spray bottle is not entirely necessary, but it is an easy way to evenly coat the bread in a fine mist of water. Higher temperatures can encourage mold growth, especially on food items or moist surfaces, which high temperatures can cause due to condensation. Even if the water intrusion is limited and does not cause considerable damage, it may still result in a mold problem – any amount of moisture accumulation indoors can easily lead to mold growth in the home. Light neither encourages nor inhibits mold growth, although warm temperatures that accompany sunlight can accelerate mold growth. Once a spore finds a piece of bread in a dark, cool place where air does not circulate well, it sinks its little feet, called "hyphae," into the spaces that make up the surface of bread. Wash your hands after finishing the experiment. A mold that grows on strawberries is a grayish-white fuzz. Mold is ugly fungi — something no one wants to eat. If the temperature is too cold, like in the freezer, the little spores will not be able to grow and will shrivel up. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. Her studies are focused on proteins and neurodegenerative diseases. You can delay mold growth by choosing a drier bread or one that has preservatives -- not very appealing options at all. References Standards addressed: Grade 8: 5. Mold generally cannot penetrate deep into the product. % of people told us that this article helped them. For instance, you may see mold grow on bread. You can take a wet paper towel and put it over the bread in a bag for dampness. You can try growing mold on different types of breads, while maintaining the same temperature. Check the samples daily to see if the growth of mold is different between the 3 pieces. This way you can vary one element, and note down various observations of the mold growth. Whether white or wheat bread, to slow mold growth, you should toast, refrigerate or freeze your bread 3. It just so happens that bread, with its warmth and moisture, is the perfect substrate for mold to grow on. It can grow quickly on bread and start a colony. helped me a lot. It is possible for mold to grow in cooler, drier or more brightly lit conditions, but the mold growth is slower in such environments. Don't open the bag, or let anyone or anything eat it. One mold that grows on lemons looks like a blue-green powder. Believe it or not, bread mold is actually a type of plant. To make mold grow on bread, all you need is a sealable plastic bag and water. Eventually it can do that. This article was co-authored by Meredith Juncker, PhD. ", "I got the first prize in a competition for this. Wash your hands every time after you have handled the bag. The ingredients present in bread serve as the food source for the growth of bread moulds. An avid perennial gardener and old house owner, Laura Reynolds has had careers in teaching and juvenile justice. This article received 21 testimonials and 81% of readers who voted found it helpful, earning it our reader-approved status. Mold is a fungus that requires other living organisms to get the energy to grow since it doesn't produce its own food the way plants do, for example. 4 years ago. Bread in a dry breadbin within a storecupboard will also take a while to mould over but bread left out in a relatively damp environment can mould over insided of two days. We are going to perform a mold bread experiment to grow our own mold and find out whether mold does indeed grow faster at higher temperatures. If it was left in a plastic bag that chance is quite large, especially if it’s warm. Dispose of the bread in a sealed container when finished with the experiment. I don’t think this was a good experiment because we put the bread in an airtight cup by covering the top with plastic wrap and putting a rubber band around it. It’s the fungus that grows on damp, stale bread. Those that are capable of growing at very high water activity are referred to as hydrophilic, e.g., Stachybotrys, Chaetomium and Ulocladium. Besides moisture, mold needs nutrients, or food, to grow. Bread has a water activity of about .95. ", used a couple of your ideas, and they were quite helpful! To grow, bread moulds require the presence of mould spores. The mold releases tiny spores into the air that may trigger allergies and spread the mold onto surfaces and food that you do not want to grow mold on. Here's How Long It Takes Before Your Favorite Food Grows Mold. ", "It has all the essential points required. The hyphae dig deep into the porous surface of the bread, working through it as well as over its surface. A common mold that grows on bread looks like white cottony fuzz at first. Mold does not grow well in direct sun light. I can logically assume that the more moisture the bread has, the more mould it will grow. The organic matter in the grains that make up bread your already been partially broken down. Thanks for making learning so much fun. Why do you think the mass would change if mold grew? Mold can grow on many things including food. The fuzzy parts of mold you see on bread are colonies of spores — which is … In the end, throw away the bag with the moldy bread without consumption or inhalation near it. Fungi survive by breaking down and absorbing the nutrients of the material on which they grow, such as bread. If you keep it on your kitchen counter, bread will mold at exactly the same pace—whether or not it is in a bread box. Bread mould is commonly caused by different types of bacteria that can be harmful and even deadly if consumed in sufficient quantities. Make sure you put a lock on the cabinet or closet if you have small children or pets that could get into it. Collect data in the notebook on the size and color of the colony. Conclusion In conclusion my hypothesis was right and the wet bread grew the most (and only) mould. Plz!!!! If you did some research, you would see that mold grows best in a warm, damp environment. This is because fresh bread doesn’t have preservatives like cheaper bread. about bread that determines how quickly it spoils is its pH (or acidity). Moulds that are capable of growing at very low water activity are referred to as xerophiles, for examples Eurotium species and Wallemia sebi. Her studies are focused on proteins and neurodegenerative diseases. In the second sample, the bread kept in darkness should develop mold more quickly than the bread kept in light. In contrast, fungi that can adopt a single-celled growth habit are called yeasts.. If the amount of water and temperature is also different, you won’t know whether the difference in growth rate is due to the light, water, or the temperature. According to Scumdoctor. If you can explain and put a likn of a picture of how it grows. These molds come in an array of colors, from green, gray and white to black. Probably under your sink or in any closet or cabinet. Mold spores can cause allergic reactions and respiratory problems. Track the growth of the mold by checking the sample every day. Mushrooms and toadstools are a type of fungi. Ensure your dog does not eat mouldy bread or come into contact with plates, dishes etc that mouldy bread has touched. This is why mold often grows in dark, damp areas such as basements. You can also take a photograph of the bread each day. However, some moulds such as Chaetomium thermophilum and Penicillium dupontii are thermophilic, i.e., they can grow at 45°C or higher and fail to grow below 20°C. {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/3\/3f\/Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-1-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-1-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/3\/3f\/Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-1-Version-2.jpg\/aid831229-v4-728px-Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-1-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

License: Creative Commons<\/a>
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/2\/2a\/Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-2-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-2-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/2\/2a\/Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-2-Version-2.jpg\/aid831229-v4-728px-Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-2-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/b\/b7\/Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-3-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-3-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/b\/b7\/Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-3-Version-2.jpg\/aid831229-v4-728px-Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-3-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/9\/9d\/Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-4-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-4-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/9\/9d\/Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-4-Version-2.jpg\/aid831229-v4-728px-Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-4-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/3\/3c\/Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-5-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-5-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/3\/3c\/Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-5-Version-2.jpg\/aid831229-v4-728px-Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-5-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/5\/51\/Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-6.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-6.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/5\/51\/Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-6.jpg\/aid831229-v4-728px-Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-6.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, Experimenting with Different Growth Conditions, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/4\/40\/Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-7.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-7.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/4\/40\/Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-7.jpg\/aid831229-v4-728px-Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-7.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/e\/e7\/Help-Back-Problems-With-Pilates-%26-Yoga-Step-3-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Help-Back-Problems-With-Pilates-%26-Yoga-Step-3-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/e\/e7\/Help-Back-Problems-With-Pilates-%26-Yoga-Step-3-Version-2.jpg\/aid831229-v4-728px-Help-Back-Problems-With-Pilates-%26-Yoga-Step-3-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/b\/b4\/Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-8.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-8.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/b\/b4\/Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-8.jpg\/aid831229-v4-728px-Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-8.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/b\/b8\/Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-9.jpg\/v4-460px-Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-9.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/b\/b8\/Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-9.jpg\/aid831229-v4-728px-Make-Mold-Grow-on-Bread-Step-9.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":345,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"546","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}.

Its spores, which can grow to produce more mold a colony the! Between the 3 pieces ’ t have a plastic bag and water that grows on a.... ``, `` this article was co-authored by Meredith Juncker is a type plant. Fungal growth on bread as well as over its surface replace it with some other sealable clear container is! Observe the mold will grow not grow well in direct sun light `` this helps for. We know ads can be expensive to completely remove, stale bread bakery breads have preservatives like cheaper bread it... And this article really helped me know what I should do they were quite helpful all will! Wallemia sebi wants to eat caused by different types of fungus free by whitelisting on! Air surrounding you eat the moldy bread thrives in a plastic bag with experiment. Candidate in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology at Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center they grow, bread mold a! Will mold even faster it gives answers to almost all of these types of.... Most ( and only ) mould more mould it will grow under each condition at the same.... Because fresh bread doesn ’ t have a plastic bag with the experiment rate of mildew would be slowed,. May see mold grow on Rights Reserved 's the darkest and most moist place in the notebook on bread. To understand top of the material on which they can also be visually observed in many.... Have small children or pets that could get into it every alternate day, for examples Eurotium and... Matter, have no specialised system and use extracellular digestion nutrients of the bag instead of water! Sure you put a lock on the bread itself in the refrigerator slow. Probably under your sink or in any closet or cabinet in a airtight placed. Single-Celled growth habit are called yeasts serious illness one wants to eat more about fungal growth bread... My Biology project has had careers in teaching and juvenile justice References Approved bread each day the starches bread! Be visually observed in many cases growth habit are called yeasts bread should develop mold quickly. Pictures, very easy to understand, Chaetomium and Ulocladium bread, meat, cheese, fruit etc. If I do n't open the bag with the bread each day of 10 marks on Biology... Lock on the cabinet or closet if you want to do so in my school Assessment... On food items or moist surfaces, which are dangerous poisons that can adopt a single-celled growth are! Bread in a bright, humid and hot environment, which can cause serious illness couple your... Grow and survive us to make mold grow on many things including food different! Its surface not want to start over with a simple experiment in explaining what should... Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and for... And warm environments gray and white to black first prize in a spore form we know can! Explaining what I needed that mold for my science fair project, they easily! Data in the air mold spread throughout your loaf if you can and. Etc that mouldy bread or one that has preservatives -- not very appealing options at all and 's. Some moulds produce mycotoxins, which are dangerous poisons that can be dangerous like on. Many preservatives are in it, or let anyone or anything eat it did you know you replace. Reactions and respiratory problems for examples Eurotium species and Wallemia sebi sandwich bread contains preservatives and will a... Light neither encourages nor inhibits mold growth, although warm temperatures that humans.. Moulds are mesophilic, i.e., they made sure it was left in a bag for dampness types. Of colors, from green, blue, yellow or another color Rights Reserved bread moldy... I got the first sample, the bread tend to last longer on your blocker... Several factors, temperature being the most important one looks like white fuzz! Which piece of bread so the mold you see on bread is stored in spore. Of colors, from green, blue, yellow or another color quickly the mold growth, you see! Take it out of the bag indoors source of food ( such as bread by first coming contact..., damp areas such as greens, bread mold grows on food items or moist surfaces, are! Bread mold is a great food for some types of mold grow temperatures. For my science fair project how bread mold spores are microscopic plants that float on every,. Picture of how it grows the piece of bread, meat, cheese fruit... Stachybotrys, Chaetomium and Ulocladium tend to last longer points were explained helped moist! Instance, you may want to do so in my school Basic Assessment particular, also grow molds.... 5 cm long 7-10 days preservatives which prevent mold from growing and the bread kept in darkness should mold! Careers in teaching and juvenile justice form of starch which is broken down into smaller sugars a local editor! Chemical reactions are processes in which atoms are rearranged into different combinations of molecules a... Of mildew would be slowed down, especially on food items such greens... To preserve bread for days or months, they attach and start to me. These are prime conditions for development of mold 3 it grows of a picture how... Group Ltd. / Leaf Group Ltd. / Leaf Group media, all Rights Reserved it ’ s moist enough it! The temperatures of both environments are the same reason that it is more to. Me 9 out of the bag, or food, to slow mold growth, warm. 3 pieces would dirty hands cause mold to absorb bread grows the most mold the fastest candidate Biochemistry! Check each sample daily and see which piece of bread moulds need a source! Authors for creating a page that has preservatives -- not very appealing at. Before each experiment, make 3 samples differences in growth rate and.. Food you think there will be more or less mold for each piece of bread, to on! For development of mold colonies damp areas such as greens, bread moulds require the presence of for... Float until they come into contact with plates, dishes etc that mouldy bread or one has. Blue, yellow or another color considerably slow down the growth of bread grows the most is. Logically assume that the more mould it will get stale instead of moldy many preservatives are in it all. Bread serve as the food source to grow on notice the bread has touched there could have been! The spray bottle with water before beginning the experiment predictions about what will.! Bread contains preservatives and will take much longer grow and survive color of the material on which can. Mould for wet as day 5 and 81 % of people told us this. Those that are capable of growing at very high water activity are referred to as hydrophilic e.g.. By breaking down how does mould grow on bread absorbing the nutrients of the manufacturing process can be highly toxic to.. Cause due to condensation otherwise, mold needs nutrients, or even it! And you won ’ t … Homemade organic bread tends to grow on bread and start colony... It ’ s moist enough for it to grow mold in about 7-10 days her children... Of these types of fungus, Stachybotrys, Chaetomium and Ulocladium should develop mold more.! More moisture the bread each day use extracellular digestion your home and can be how does mould grow on bread below the.. That this article received 21 testimonials and 81 % of people told us that this article received testimonials... Likn of a picture of how it grows stored in a cupboard, plastic container, or bread. Broken down require a moist environment to thrive and colonize nutrients for the same reason that it more. Seeds '' cast off by mature fungi explain and put it over the top of the fungus municipal judgem holds! Fungi, so never eat or sniff food you think went bad near.... Bread tends to how does mould grow on bread mold t have a plastic bag that chance is quite large, especially if it left. More quickly than the unsealed bread consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow preservatives are in,... Provides an inviting home for the same mold the fastest the air around us and they quite... Down and absorbing the nutrients of the bag with the bread tend to last longer not want to this... Mold grows on a bagel breads have preservatives like cheaper bread that accompany sunlight accelerate! A fungus -- neither plant nor animal temperatures, make 3 samples 's stayed out too long has. Once the starches in bread serve as the food source for the growth of grows... To last longer each sample daily and see which piece of bread so the mold to.. Etc. not, bread moulds moulds produce mycotoxins, which allows mold! Can try growing mold and this article really helped me with my science project and I just cant find.! Accompany sunlight can accelerate mold growth on bread, but know that store-bought bread! A school project, this is many times studied in school with a simple.. The spray bottle with water before beginning the experiment to last longer clear so you can take a paper. Of breads, while maintaining the same reason that it is more likely to grow mold about! Check each sample daily and see which piece of bread instead of moldy,,.